Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Johnsonville & Rapala

On my way home tonight...two new outdoor billboards caught my attention.

One was for Johnsonville sausage. The board read: Johnsonville Vacationville.

The other was for Rapala fishing lures and read: More Hits Than Google.

Both were quick and easy to read, the fewer the words often the better when concepting creative for outdoor.

However, that was not the case for the Johnsonville's board. Even though I know the brand well, and love their brats, the word Vacationville does not have much meaning in itself.

I get it...brats and weekend vacations might go hand in hand. But, just seeing the word Vacationville did not paint much of a picture. It did not support or deepen my current image of the brand. Maybe if I end up seeing some other advertising it will explain Vacationville and create a deeper connection. For now this connection serves as just awareness and a reminder.

In the case of the Rapala message it was simple, supports the brand image I have, and instantly got to the utility that the product provides: their lures help catch fish. Brilliant!

I do enjoy fishing, but am not a hard core angler. My father-in-law has a lake home and is a very passionate fisherman. He has more lures than anyone would ever need or be able to use, but he does keep buying them. I told you he was passionate. So, my Rapala brand connection will most likely not result in a purchase any time soon for me, but I am sure it will with my father-in-law.

www.rapala.com
www.johnsonville.com

No comments:

Post a Comment