Thursday, March 11, 2010

7-Up = Throw Up


Is 7-UP really "Ridicuously Bubbly?" They have placed enough billboards throughout the Twin Cities to get my attention and for me to recall these two words of copy, but can these billboards overcome my childhood assocation with the brand?

Everytime I was sick as a kid it seemed like I had soup, crackers, and 7-Up. Now, just like Pavlov's dog, I associate the bubbly drink with being sick. Sorry 7-Up, blame my Mom.

This is a situation that brands face everyday, this is a situtation that brands want to control, and this particular situation is going to be a tough one.

Part of advertising is to create a positive assocation between a brand and a certain feelings, beliefs, knowledge, values, or a particular activities. Unfortunately, in this case, the activity is throwing up.

Let me know if you have any strong brand assocations, specifically from childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment