Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Free Burrito at Chipotle?

I love Chipotle. Now I love them even more.

I typically end up going to Chipotle 3 or 4 times a month. I think they put something in those Chicken Burritos that is addictive. Also, it doesn't help that there is one 236 feet from our office.

Yesterday I was drawn to Chipotle, maybe because I had not been there for 10 days. I ordered my Chicken Burrito and made it to the end of the line to pay. I pulled out my cash card and it did not work. It had expired 2 days ago.

The cashier talked to the manager (in Spanish) so I was not sure exactly what was said. I told them that I could come back with my checkbook (just in case you were not paying attention, I work 236 feet away). The manager said "no" you can just have it. I was dumbfounded, said thank you very much, and left the restaurant shocked and a little stunned.

I don't think, in my entire 39 year life as a consumer, that has ever happened. I still don't really believe it.

I am sure you are not surprised that I have been telling everyone I know about this amazing act of customer service (not sure if you can even call it customer service). And I am sure they are telling their friends and family as well.

On a related note, whenever I head over to Chipotle I realize that the radio spot from probably 2 years ago is still vividly in my head. "I'm going to Chipotle and have a burrito." I have heard some other radio spots from them since, but I can't tell you anything about them.

It was a catchy tune, it took advantage of radio media, I heard it frequently, and I was not irritated by it. At that time I don't think I had even been to a Chipotle. It influenced me to try it out. It helped make me a fan. And it is automatically recalled each time I head over there for lunch.

Did I tell you that I have their iPhone app?

Let me know if you had a "customer service" experience as good as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment