Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Castrol Dip Stick & Amstel Damn Good

Over the past week I have seen and heard a number of advertisements, but there are only two that broke through and made a connection.

The first is Castrol's Think With Your Dipstick. Check out their TV spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY In this instance, frequency definitely played a roll.

The spot is a little amusing, so I do not turn the channel or tune out when it came on. Frequency is only good if you don't mind the ad. Due to the lack of "irritation factor" the spot sinks in and I get their message after a few exposures. I would estimate that I have seen the TV spot 4-5 times over the past week. I must be a target.

I also heard their radio spot for the first time this morning. Hearing it after seeing the TV spots made the radio spot have greater impact. Good use of a multi-media campaign.

On a side note, I am still wondering what a Scottish/Irish guy has to do with oil and/or the brand. Maybe it was chosen just for the accent.

I'll let you know the next time I need motor oil, and if I choose Castrol over the others.


The second brand that has made a positive connection with me is Amstel Light's Damn Good Beer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRnGpr5D8nY I have seen the TV spot 4-5 times as well. It is the song by Chelsea Dagger that really sticks with me, I like the song. I might even buy it on iTunes.

Also, it was very interesting to hear the same song played in the arena when Chicago scored a goal during the Detroit vs. Chicago NHL Playoff game. Coincidence? If this was strategically orchestrated by Amstel and their ad agency - kudos. Very smart.

Unfortunately, for Amstel, I am not a beer drinker. I will have a positive brand association, but will not be buying.

1 comment:

  1. The dip stick spots promote human abusive behavior and Castrol should stop running these irresponsible, pro-abuse ads...NOW!

    ReplyDelete