Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wolverine Movie

A friend and I went out last night to check out the new Wolverine movie. I had seen the trailer at a previous movie and on television a couple times. I did not plan on seeing it opening weekend, but it worked out well last night. I'll review how we ended up where we did:

When deciding what movie to see we first determined where in the metro area that were going to meet, we chose St Louis Park. I looked at the "cheap theater" in Hopkins, but there wasn't much playing that one of us had not already seen.

So then we looked at the main theater in St Louis Park to see what they were playing. Really the only movie of any interest was Wolverine. We both wanted to see it, so it worked out. Plus it is the type of movie (action and special effects) that you really need to see in the theater - this has become an important consideration for me when deciding which movie to go to, since I do not see too many in the theaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPmbGzQaOCs

We arrived about 15 minutes early an saw a number of the locally placed ads, but I cannot remember any of them.

As for the national ads that start right before the trailers are shown, I remember one of the ads. It was for Sprite and showed kids/teens running into each and exploding into a splash of water (or maybe it was Sprite).

A guy behind me said that he thought the ad was cool, I thought so too. It was the first time that I saw it. We have some Sprite in our refrigerator, but I grabbed a Mt Dew for lunch today instead.

For the most part the movie-goers (including me) did not pay attention to the locally placed ads as much, but as soon as the lights go down and the nationally placed ads start - the theater got quiet and people were more attentive/engaged.

With that said, I still only remember the one Sprite ad. There were a number of other ads, my friend even felt like there were a lot (too many?). As DVR penetration increases, more and more advertisers are going to head toward placing these types of ads. Hopefully, film studios do not get too greedy and start running more and more ads.

I believe that as long as there are only a few ads and they are entertaining (because that is why we all go to movies), movie-goers will not mind sitting through a couple without tuning out.

In terms of the movie trailers, we saw a few of them as well. The two that I can recall instantly were for Transformers 2 and Terminator. Probably because they were the ones that I would be most interested in seeing. And, ironically these are both movies that will be much better in theaters (action and special effects).

I will defintely make an effort to see them both this summer. I'll let you know if I make it there.

On a side note, I do not remember any of the in-theater ads/posters or the restroom ads that I looked at briefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment